Cassie's Creamy Tomato Soup Recipe

After almost two weeks on the road visiting family and friends in Wisconsin, we are back in South Dakota and needed some comfort food. Also, I had to give my new immersion blender a whirl! {thanks mom for getting it for me for x-mas!} If you don't have one, get one now!

After seaching online I couldn't find a recipe for creamy tomato soup that I liked, so I mashed all of the ones I found into one, and it was amazing - so I'm sharing with you guys.  Here are the results:
cassie's creamy tomato soup


Cassie's Creamy Tomato Soup Recipe
Ingredients:

-1 small onion
-2-3 cloves garlic
-2 tbsp butter
-1 large can crushed tomato (28oz)
-1/2 tsp baking soda
-1 cup chicken broth
-2-3 slices of crusty bread (can be day old)
-4 oz (1/2 block) cream cheese
-Salt and pepper
*you’ll also need an immersion blender

Step 1:
In a deep stock pot, cook chopped onion, chopped garlic, and butter on medium heat until they are translucent.  Stir constantly to avoid having the butter burn.  You don’t have to chop the garlic and onion very finely because you will be blending the soup later.

cassie's creamy tomato soup 4

Step 2:
Pour in the can of crushed tomato, the baking soda (which neutralizes some of the acid in the tomatoes), and the chicken broth into the pot.  Bring to a boil, turn down the heat, and let simmer for 5-10 minutes.  Add salt and pepper to taste.

Step 3:
Cut the bread and cream cheese into chunks and add to the soup.  Let simmer while stirring for a few minutes.

cassie's creamy tomato soup 3

Step 4:
Blend with your immersion blender and then let cool for a few minutes.  Garnish with oyster crackers, and cheese.  Enjoy!


5 comments:

  1. Mm, that looks delicious! I always get this at panera. Maybe I'll try making my own instead. Now I just need a recipe for the cheesy croutons...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah - It is a lot like the Panera kind - I think if I would have added some grilled red pepper, it would have been spot on!

    Jane - When you come up to show, I'll make this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. this looks so, so good. I'll be saving it. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been looking for a good recipe for this! Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete