For some reason I've always been intimidated by biscotti. It looked like something I couldn't even attempt to make. But, for some reason this last week I suddenly craved biscotti -- badly.
And then this happened:
It actually looks how it is supposed to! And tastes good to boot. Success!
And I am sharing the recipe - this is way to good to keep to myself:
2/3 Cup Sugar
1/2 Cup Melted Butter (let cool slightly)
2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
1 3/4 Cups Flour
1 Cup Dark Chocolate Chips
1/3 Cup Instant Oats
1/3 Cup Flax Seeds
1. Grease a cookie sheet- Preheat oven to 375 F.
2. Combine Sugar, baking powder, butter, and eggs in a deep bowl and mix ( I used an electric mixer) until combined. Then add the flour in batches - if it becomes too dense, mix it in by hand.
3. When everything is mixed together, add the Chocolate Chips, Oats, and Flax Seeds- and stir these in with a fork. When everything is mixed up evenly, form the dough into two 9 inch long 'logs' on your baking sheet. Once they are fairly even, flatten them with your hands so they are about 3/4" thick and 2 1/2" wide.
4. Bake in the 375 F Oven for 18- 20 minutes, or until you can insert a toothpick and it comes out clean. Remove from the oven, and let cool for 30 minutes.
5. Take a serrated knife and cut the biscotti loaves into strips about 2/3" wide. You can do these on a diagonal to make them longer.
6. Set your oven to 325F and arrange the biscotti on their sides - bake them again for 7 minutes on each side. This will leave them crisp and dry. Remove from the oven and let them thoroughly cool before serving.
Yield: Approximately 20