Happy Monday.

Slightly evil looking Bobo says, 'good morning!'

Figurines-8

I started another painting this weekend.  I love the expression on this pup's face!  I'm not sure what breed of dog this is, so if anyone knows, please clue me in by leaving a comment.

DSC_7055

Ideally, I like to have two paintings going on at once in my studio.  Sometimes this isn't possible as my studio is a 10x10' room that is packed to the brim with paintings, books, and supplies.
DSC_7064

I think I'll try to tackle a studio renovation in the Fall.  I need a better flowing space, and I'd really like to have one empty wall that I can use just for my easels.  I've just started a studio inspiration board on Pinterset here: Studio Inspiration 

By the way, have you guys signed up for Pinterest?  If not, do so now!  As a creative person it really helps me to keep my thoughts & inspiration images organized.  If you join, feel free to add me as a friend!

Anyhow, back to this painting.  Those of you who know me personally know that I am pretty adamant about the importance of drawing when it comes to painting representationally.  When doing a painting, I'll do a couple studies to get the composition just right.

DSC_7054

Most of the time this works great for me.  Sometimes, like with this drawing, I just can't seem to get it just right on the first, second, third, or even the fourth time.  Luckily for me, the fifth time was the charm.

DSC_7046

My husband, who is a musician/recording engineer/professor, and I have had an ongoing conversation about work ethic lately, which I thought I'd share here.  We've been talking about the extent to which we'll go to have something look or sound right.  Many times we'll work on a project until it is 90% finished, and take a little break from it.

We've come to the conclusion that finishing the last 10% of the project (be it a painting or a recording) is the most important part of the process.  In most of my work that last 10% of the project ends up taking just as long as the first 90% to get it just right.  

So with that thought, and with this guy to cheer you up, I'll bid you adieu.

DSC_7053

3 comments:

  1. Cassie, I love your studio! You have really beautiful lighting. And it looks like a place where a lot of creating goes on.

    ReplyDelete